Newspaper Archive of
Clinch Valley Times
St. Paul , Virginia
Lyft
July 7, 2011     Clinch Valley Times
PAGE 8     (8 of 8 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 8     (8 of 8 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 7, 2011
 

Newspaper Archive of Clinch Valley Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




Page 8 CLINCH VALLEY TIMES, St. Paul, VA Thursday, July 7, 2011 Fort Gibsor00 UMC is 225 years old Fort Gibson United Meth- :. odist Church is celebrat.ing its ; 225 years of service to the Cas- tlewood communiO on Sunday, August 14, 2011. This is the seventh monthly article on the history of Fort Gibson United Methodist Church. In 1903 when the new site for the Temple Meetingl House was chosen, it was orre mile north on&apos;land deeded by Samuel W. Gibson and his wife, iHarriet Gibson, in consideration.- of de- votion for the church and that a church may be built for the Methodist Episcopal .Church, South at or near the Masonic Hall in Castlewood. The grant- ees were N.S. Dickenson, C.E. Branson, Charles Dickenson, C.C. Cooper and J.M. Hillman, trustees of the Methodist Epis- copal Church, South of Castle- wood. The Church at this time was now named the Castlewood Methodist Church instead of the Temple Meeting House. Ths was a wooden white frame struc- ture enclosed with a wooden white fence including a set of steps for mounting horses. The Quarterly Conference Report in 1918 states "The roof of the church house at Castlewood caught fire the 2 "d Sunday in November. Fortunately it was seen by Floyd Branson and put out. We have rebuilt the flues and covered them with metal roofing to make it safe for the present." During this era soldiers left and returned home from the depot in Castlewood during WWI. The great flu epidemic of 1918, which began in Europe and spread world-wide touched tile lives of Castlewood when it claimed the life of Ruby Dawson Couch Bratton, a member of the church, leaving husband Stuart (great-great grandson of Charles Bickley) with two small boys, Heston and Woodrow. Two of Woodrow's children, Glenna and Belva, live in Castlewood and are members of Fort Gibson. Just 11 years later in January, 1929, the white wooden struc- ture caught fire and burned to the ground. The story is told that the next morning, a Sunday, Mr. B.C. White, the adult Sunday School teacher, who had not heard of the fire came to Sunday School as usual, walked up the steps and when he started to open the door, suddenly realized there was no door to open or no church to enter..A picture of this structure presently hangs in the pastor's office at Fort Gibson. Paintings of this church by the late Lutie Banner hang in the old fellowship hall. After the flre plans were made and work begun on a new brick building on the same site, but the front would face the Masonic Hall and not the main road as the white wooden struc- ture had. During this period of construction services were held at Temple Hill High School near the site of the Temple Meeting House. A building committee of Mr. I.T. Beauchamp, Mr. D.S. Buck, Mr. G.C. Gose and Mr. R.C. Meade worked diligently to obtain materials and funds to build the church. Much of the labor was donated by members. Mrs. R.S. (Mamie) Gose soli- cited funds for memorials. The amount of $7800 had.to be borrowed from the Conference tO help pay for the building. Considering that the Great Depression which hit the U.S. in Dr. Samuel Wesley Gibson (1825-191-5) and Harriet Love Bickley (1833-1924) Photo Circa 1910 - Castlewood, Virginia ) ;iiii:iiii!i!ii;!!;iii _ Dr. Samuel Wesley Gibson gave land for the present- day Fort Gibson U M Church in 1903. 1929 made this a more difficult task, it is a testament of their faith, tenacity and perseverance, that they were able to pay off the debt in early summer of 1941. The dedication service was conducted by Bishop Paul Kern assisted by Rev. L.W. Pierce, the district superintendent and Rev. R.H. Thames, pastor. The church building included the sanctuary; five classrooms, an active- ty/dining room, kitchen, and two restrooms. When completed it became known as the Fort Gibson Episcopal Church, South - and became Fort Gibson United Methodist Church in 1968 with the uniting of the Evangelical United Brethren Church and the Methodist Church, named in honor of Dr. Samuel Wesley and Harriet Love Bickley Gibson who deeded the land and without a doubt for the fort that was nearby in 1783. Dr. Gibson, from Snowflake, Scott County, Virginia, married Harriet Love Bickley, daughter of John Bickley and grand- daughter of Charles Bickley on September 29, 1863. They had 5 children: William Charles, twins Elizabeth Brown "Betty" and John Bickley, and twins Elbert Eugene and Samuel Clarence. He'was a well-known and re- spected physician in Castlewood (Bickley Mills) as recorded in Thomas Dickenson's diary of 1862 as he attended Thomas Dickenson's wife, Josee, prior to her death. During the Civil War he served both the Confederate and Union soldiers. For adminis- tering to the health needs of the Union soldiers he was accused and charged with treason by the Confederate government. He wrote a personal letter to Jeff- erson Davis, President of the Confederacy, stating that as a doctor of medicine he was ob- ligated by his Hippocratic Oath to serve anyone in need of med- ical care. President Jefferson Davis responded with a personal letter to Doctor Gibson par- doning him from any acts of treason against the Confederate government. His medical bag and surgical instruments are presently in the possession of his great-great-great-great grandson, Bic Gibson. His office still proudly stands in front of the house he built in 1863, which is the current residence of Bic, and his wife, Judy, and their sons, Caleb and Wesley Gibson. Next month's article the final article of this series, will be about the building additions and ministries of Fort Gibson United Methodist Church. East KY Tyme at Country t Cabin The Country Cabin, located in Norton on The Crooked Road Music Trail will feature East KY Tyme on Saturday, July 9. Admission for the night is $5 for 'adults (12 and over) and $1 for children 2-11. Each Saturday night, from 7:30 pm to 10:30 pm, live bluegrass music from the best in local bands is featured. Dancing includes clogging, two-step, free- style, broom dances and cake walks. Local musicians are welcome to play halffime breaks. The Country Cabin is located one and one-half miles west of Norton (between Norton and Appalachia). Watch for signs. Events at the Country Cabin are sponsored by Appalachian Traditions, Inc., a non-profit organization. No alcohol is per- mitted. For more information, call 276-679-3541. Jam sessions are held each Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. Free admission. All musicians and spectators welcome. Deadline for. " ].i i classifieds iS I Tuesday noon! [ Adult Education Connection by Karen Gent Southwest Regional Adult Education held its annual Dick- enson County GED Commen- cement Exercise on Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm at the Dickenson Center for Education and Research. This year, there were 35 individuals who earned GED certificates through the Dickenson County GED Testing Center. Many of these recip- ients walked across the stage in cap and gown to receive their credentials. Twenty-one honor graduates achieved GED scores of 2500 or above, and those honor graduates who attended the ceremony were awarded honor cords for their accom- plishments. Mike Setser, Dickenson County Director of GED Test- ing, presided over the cere- mony. Haydee Robinson, Superintendent of Dickenson County Public Schools, offered congrattilatory remarks to the graduates. Linda Allen, Re- gional Program Manager, delivered the keynote address. Mike Setser awarded tuition scholarships of $350 from Southwest Virginia Community College (SWCC) to two grad- uates with outstanding perform- ance on the GED Tests, who intend to further their education at SWCC. Those receiving these scholarships were Steph- anie Deel and Jessa Thomas. On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm, the Buchanan County GED Graduation Cere- mony was held in the Grundy High School auditorium. This year there were 19 individuals who earned their GED certificates through the Buchan- an County GED Testing Center. Joyce Presley, Administra- tive Assistant Superintendent of Buchanan County Public Schools and Chief GED Ex- aminer, presided over the cere- mony. Alicia Upchurch pro- vided music for the ceremony. Linda Allen, Regional Program Manager, was the guest speaker for the event. Eddie Hannah, representing SWCC, also ad- dressed the graduates and audience. Jackie Wright, one of the 2011 GED graduates, shared an inspiring story of his per- sonal joumey through the GED program. Three of the grad- uates, Danielle Bowman, Dan- iel Proffitt, and Michelle Smith, are currently participating in the PluggedIn VA Technology pro- gram underway at the Booth Center in Grundy. If you didn't finish high school, contact Southwest Re- gional Adult Education at 889- 5424, or call toll-free at 1-866- 581-9935. Classes will be offered through the summer months. Call today to register for a free class and get on track to earning your GED certificate. To register for GED Testing, contact Joyce Presley at 935- 4551 in Buchanan County, Cindy Stanley at 926-4643 in Dickenson County, Dreama Campbell at 889-5424 in Rus- sell County, and Toni Tester at 988-6037 in Tazewell County. You must register prior to the testing date. Subscribe today to the Clinch Valley Fimes ...call 762-7671 MARKET CORNER NEWS Clinch River Farmer's Market <,, , in downtown St. Paul: Saturday 8 am-1 pm 00G,Zk-N90000N Wednesday 2 pm - 5 pm All your favorite spring vegetables are at the Farmers Market. Check out a good selection of new potatoes, cabbage, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, beans, eggs, honey, lamb products, baked goods, jams, jellies and flowers. In addition to farm produce, the market features an array of craft items including note cards, jewelry and pictures Entertainment: Gary Crum 11 am Kids Corner: Art Activities 10 am UPCOMING EVENTS: July 16th Friends of the Library will have a Bake Sale featuring breakfast items. July 23rd The chef from the Troutdale Bistro in Bristol will be on hand to prepare a meal from the produce at the market. If you would like to be the assistant chef register at the market on Wednesdays or Saturdays or at the St. Paul Town Hall. Come by the market for free coffee, fresh produce, and a good visit with friends. Visit Clinch River Farmer's Market on facebook. N